Former Sierra Leone president confined to home after questioning | ANG
  • June 21, 2024

Business:Delegates announce $1.2 billion in funding to produce vaccines in Africa

World leaders, health groups, and pharmaceutical firms announced $1.2 billion in funding to produce vaccines in Africa, at the Global Forum for Vaccine Sovereignty and Innovation in Paris on Thursday. The …

UK Sunak’s bodyguard arrested for election bet

One of Prime Minister Rishi Sunak’s bodyguards has been arrested following alleged bets on the date of Britain’s national elections, made before they were announced, authorities said Wednesday. The Metropolitan Police …

Business:Niger revokes French company’s operating licence at major uranium mine

Niger’s military government has revoked the operating licence of French nuclear fuel producer, Orano, at one of the world’s biggest uranium mines, the company said on Thursday. The decision has highlighted …

Former Sierra Leonean president Ernest Bai Koroma has been placed under house supervision in what the opposition say is house arrest following the recent violence.

Koroma was questioned on Monday (Dec. 11) for the third time by police in Freetown about the events of November 26, described by the authorities as an attempted coup d’état.

On Saturday, the government had announced that Mr. Koroma, who led Sierra Leone from 2007 to 2018, had been placed under a regime akin to house arrest, information disputed by one of his lawyers.

Sierrra Leone’s Minister of information had said that the former president had been released “on condition that he remains within the confines of his property (in Freetown) and that he receives a limited number of guests.

On Monday, a large number of police officers were deployed around his residence.

According to the Sierra Leonean authorities, some of Mr. Koroma’s former guards are suspected of having taken part in the unrest of November 26.

In the early hours of that day, men attacked a military armory, two barracks, two prisons and two police stations.

The fighting left 21 people dead, 18 members of the security services and three assailants, according to the Minister of Information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *