• August 27, 2025

Cameroon sugarcane strike turns violent over wages

Over 150 hectares of sugarcane fields have been destroyed in Cameroon due to violent clashes between workers at the Société Sucrière du Cameroun (SOSUCAM) and police. The unrest, which erupted earlier …

FIFA suspends Congolese Football Federation

FIFA has announced the immediate suspension of the Congolese Football Federation (FECOFOOT), following escalating tensions between the Ministry of Sports and the football body. The dispute, which has been ongoing for …

Judge halts Trump’s effort to dismantle USAID

A federal judge has delivered a major blow to President Donald Trump and his ally, billionaire Elon Musk, halting plans to pull thousands of staffers from the U.S. Agency for International …

West Africa’s fractured regional bloc on Sunday urged Senegalese President Bassirou Diomaye Faye to engage with the three military-led member states to try to reunite the region whose stability has been threatened since they decided to leave the group in January.

At its summit in the Nigerian capital Abuja , the bloc – known as ECOWAS – named Mr Faye as its envoy to meet with Mali , Niger and Burkina Faso , which formed their separate union after their respective coups severed relations with their neighbours.

The terms of the dialogue were not immediately specified. The Senegalese president, who became Africa’s youngest leader after his election victory in March, “has all the qualifications required to serve as a facilitator ,” Omar Alieu Touray, president of the ECOWAS Commission, said at the summit.

The three countries affected by the coup had already declared at their summit the day before that they had “irrevocably turned their backs on ECOWAS” . This is the first time in its nearly 50-year history that ECOWAS has lost members in this way.

Analysts see Faye’s mission as important in the context of an unprecedented regional crisis . However, it is unlikely to bear fruit anytime soon because of lingering regional tensions , said Karim Manuel, a Middle East and Africa analyst at the Economist Intelligence Unit.

Mr Touray said it was the worst period the bloc had seen in years. “Our region also faces the risks of disintegration. When you leave an agreement, you are certainly not part of it. If it is about free trade, free movement of people, the risk of losing those concessions remains . ”

Apart from the economic projects that ECOWAS may have to suspend in the three countries if they do not return, their withdrawal could also affect their citizens. ECOWAS, as the main political and economic authority in West Africa, offers freedom of trade and visa-free movement within member states.

The departure of the three ECOWAS countries could also affect their neighbours on different fronts. They all share borders and deadly security crises that are currently spreading across the region and against which the European Union is seeking to partner. Observers have also warned that coups in the countries could embolden other armies, particularly in countries where citizens have complained of not benefiting from their rich natural resources.

Nigerian President Bola Tinubu, who was asked to continue as the bloc’s president as his one-year term was coming to an end, called for new and stronger partnerships to develop the region in the face of its “enormous challenges” .

“Together, we can pave the way for a prosperous future for all of West Africa ,” Mr Tinubu said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *